- Major destabilizing influences on the global economy that were viewed as major threats a year ago— specifically the war in Ukraine and its impact on energy markets—have now become the “new normal”.
- All asset owners saw ESG considerations as financially significant, but a range of views on the relevance of impact objectives as goals were expressed.
- Climate considerations are broadening and deepening beyond carbon to include a larger set of environmental issues.
A Global Survey of Institutional Investor Priorities and Perspectives
Institutional asset owners play an important role in the global capital markets. Acting as fiduciaries, they oversee some of the world’s largest pools of capital, steering investment policy on behalf of pension plans, foundations, endowments, and sovereign wealth funds.
Last year, Morningstar Indexes and Morningstar Sustainalytics piloted an annual multi-phase global survey of asset owners designed to better understand their motivations, attitudes, and challenges in the current environment, and we recently completed the first phase of our 2023 study, which consisted of direct qualitative conversations with ten hand-selected asset owners.
Our interviewees represented a range of institutional types and sizes across North America, Europe, and Asia, including one investment consultant. Our intent with these in-depth discussions was to probe for perspectives and issues to help inform our broader quantitative study, to be fielded later this year.
Topics explored included:
- Views on the macro environment and regulation
- Convictions about the materiality and impact of ESG considerations
- Broadening of climate considerations
- Opinions on the availability and quality of ESG data and analysis
©2023 Morningstar. All Rights Reserved. The information, data, analyses and opinions contained herein (1) include the proprietary information of Morningstar, (2) may not be copied or redistributed, (3) do not constitute investment advice offered by Morningstar, (4) are provided solely for informational purposes and therefore are not an offer to buy or sell a security, and (5) are not warranted to be correct, complete or accurate. Morningstar has not given its consent to be deemed an "expert" under the federal Securities Act of 1933. Except as otherwise required by law, Morningstar is not responsible for any trading decisions, damages or other losses resulting from, or related to, this information, data, analyses or opinions or their use. References to specific securities or other investment options should not be considered an offer (as defined by the Securities and Exchange Act) to purchase or sell that specific investment. Past performance does not guarantee future results. Before making any investment decision, consider if the investment is suitable for you by referencing your own financial position, investment objectives, and risk profile. Always consult with your financial advisor before investing.
Indexes are unmanaged and not available for direct investment.
Morningstar indexes are created and maintained by Morningstar, Inc. Morningstar® is a registered trademark of Morningstar, Inc.